The Regional Learners Passport Partnership (RLPP) is providing you with this information to comply with data protection law and to ensure that you are fully informed and we are transparent in how we collect and use your personal data.
Who is collecting the information?
Edinburgh College is the Data Controller of this website for the Regional Learners Passport Partnership (RLPP).
The Regional Learners Passport Partnership (RLPP) is made up of the following educational institution members:
- Borders College
- Edinburgh College
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Fife College
- Forth Valley College
- Heriot Watt University
- Newbattle Abbey College
- Queen Margaret University
- Scotland’s Rural College
- The Open University
- University of Edinburgh
- University of St Andrews
- University of Stirling
- West Lothian College
At no time is personal data provided by any member of the Regional Learners Passport Partnership to populate information displayed on this website.
Why are we collecting it and what are we doing with it (Purpose)?
We process your personal data for the following purposes:
- To process and answer your enquiries or to contact you to answer your questions and/or requests;
- To develop and improve our products, services, communication methods and the functionality of our website;
- To understand and assess the interests, wants, and changing needs of our websites users in order to improve our website;
As the website data controller, Edinburgh College will disclose your personal data only with members of the Regional Learners Passport Partnership (RLPP) in order to carry out the purposes listed above.
What personal data do we collect?
This website uses Google Analytics to monitor and analyse website traffic. Some of the data collected by Google Analytics includes:
- Time of visit, pages visited, and time spent on each page of the webpages
- Referring site details (such as the URI a user came through to arrive at this site)
- Type of web browser used
- Type of operating system (OS) used
Data collected by Google Analytics is anonymised. Anonymisation is a data processing technique that removes or modifies personally identifiable information; it results in anonymised data that cannot be associated with any one individual.
Personal data is also collected when you submit a form via our support page so that we can effectively respond to your query.
Data collected via this Support form includes: your name, a valid email address and any other personal information you choose to share within the body of the form.
Any personal data you voluntarily share via this Support form can be shared in a professional capacity between employees of RLPP institutions and is done in order to best respond to your query or direct your query to the correct person.
How are we collecting this information? What is the source?
We collect data from:
- Cookies which track what you view and the way you interact with the site;
- Forms you fill in on our website and send to us
Please refer to our cookies page for further details on how cookies are used on this site.
In line with European Data Protection Board (EDPB) guidance, this website requires consent before applying analytical Cookies. You can choose to opt in or out to the use of these Cookies at any time. For more information on how to do this, please refer to our cookies page.
The lawful basis for the processing
Under GDPR Article 6(1)(a) the legal basis is: “the data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data for one or more specific purposes”.
Who we share the information with
This site uses Google Analytics to gather and hold data on behalf of the RLPP. For more information on the cookies used, please refer to our cookies page.
Your personal data can be used by and shared with RLPP members (as previously listed) in order to improve our website and respond to requests/queries submitted via the support page of this site.
Any personal data you voluntarily shared via this website’s Support form can be shared in a professional capacity between employees of RLPP institutions and is done in order to best respond to your query or to direct your query to the correct person. This is carried out securely and documentation is in place detailing the sharing process.
Your personal data supplied via the support form will only be shared outside of the RLPP members:
- To follow your instructions, and
- With your consent.
It is unlikely that this will occur, however if this does occur, for example due to your specific query, it will be carried out securely ensuring appropriate controls are in place to protect your personal data.
Information submitted via this Support form is sent to an inbox which is controlled by an Edinburgh College server.
Details of data transfers to any third countries or international organisations
This website uses Google Analytics to monitor and analyse website traffic via ‘page tags’, which collect and send visitor data to a Google data collection server.
In line with European Data Protection Board (EDPB) guidance, this website requires consent before applying Google Analytics Cookies. You can choose to opt in or out to the use of Google Analytics Cookies at any time. For more information on how to do this, please refer to our cookies page.
Data collected and held by Google is only shared with the RLPP as per the Google Analytics Terms of Service, which prohibits the collection of personally identifiable data such as name, email address, or billing information.
To learn more about how Google process data see https://policies.google.com/privacy
How long do we hold the personal data?
Personal data you submit via a Support form on this website is stored on an Edinburgh College email server for five years.
Data collected by Google Analytics is held on Google data collection servers for 50 months before it is permanently deleted.
Individuals’ rights in relation to this processing
Under data protection law individuals have a number of rights. They are as follows:
- the right to be informed – i.e. this privacy notice
- the right of access – this means you have the right to access and receives copies of the personal data held about you
- the right to rectification – this means you have the right to correct inaccurate or incomplete data held about you,
- the right to erasure – this is commonly known as the Right to be Forgotten (RTBF) and means you have the right to request all your data held is destroyed
- right to restrict processing – this links with other rights and means you can request that your data is restricted while resolving an issue
- the right to object – this means you can object to how your data is processed. For marketing/promotional purposes this right is absolute and the processing must be stopped immediately
- the right to data portability this means you have the right to have your data transferred in a machine-readable format (e.g. a .csv file)
- the right to know of any automated decision making is carried out. The College does not do this processing for this purpose.
Not all of these rights are absolute and caveats apply. To exercise any of your rights please contact us via our support page. Your request will be processed with undue delay and within a month of receipt of your request.
Complaints to UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
If you are concerned about how your personal data is being used by the RLPP, you can contact us directly via our support page
If you are not satisfied with the outcome then you can complain to the regulator of data protection, the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO has guidance on their website here:
You can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them on 0303-123-113 or you can send a letter to them at the following address:
Information Commissioner's Office